RUSSIAN AND INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF ACTION PLANS FOR THE PROTECTION OF HUMAN HEALTH FROM CLIMATE RISKS
The Paris climate agreement confirmed that climate change continues to pose a global concern and required all Parties to put forward their best efforts to protect public health. In the conditions of global warming, climate-induced risks gained importance as a public health hazard and confirmed the need to develop national action plans. Such plans shall be developed locally, taking into account the requirements of the National Action Plan for adaptation to health risks induced by changing climate. This manuscript presents the data on climate-dependent mortality. The global annual burden of excess deaths attributed to climate change is over 150,000 cases, which leads to a loss of 5.5 million years of productive life per year. Early warning systems have been adopted in many countries, with the goal to prevent heat-related deaths. If such a system were implemented in Moscow, eleven thousand excess deaths could have been avoided during the extremely hot summer of 2010. Heat watch warning systems are based on scientific data on heat thresholds. On the days with temperatures above such thresholds, climate-dependent mortality increases. Such thresholds have been established in the environmental epidemiology studies conducted in Moscow, Northern and Southern cities, the cities with continental and monsoon climates. The experience of implementation of early warning systems during extreme weather events was analyzed. The relative powers of bioclimatic indices as predictors of daily mortality rates during extreme weather events were compared. To prevent complications of cardiovascular diseases, a set of protective measures was proposed which included cardiology medications, recommendations on personal behavior and drinking habits during extreme heat, and other measures. The risks and examples of occurrence and northward propagation of climate-dependent infectious diseases such as Siberian anthrax, West Nile fever, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, and dirofilariasis, were described.
About the authorsRevich Boris A.
1. Woodward A., Smith K.R., Cambell-Lendrum D., Chadee D.D., Honda Y., Liu Q. et al. Climate Change and Health: on the latest IPCC report. Lancet. 2014; 383 (9924): 1185–9.
2. Mora C., Dousset B., Caldwell I.R., Powell F.E., Geronimo R.C., Bielecki C.R. et al. Global risk of deadly heat. Nat Clim Change. 2017; 7: 501–6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate3322
3. Fouillet L., Cassadou S., Médina S., Fabres P., Lefranc A., Eilstein D. et al. The relation between temperature, ozone, and mortality in nine French cities during the heat wave of 2003. Environ Health Perspect. 2006; 114: 1344–7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.8328
4. Laaidi M., Laaidi K., Besancenot J.P. Temperature-related mortality in France, a comparison between regions with different climates from the perspective of global warming. Int J Biometeorol. 2006; 51: 145–53. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-006-0045-8
5. Anderson G.B., Bell M.L., Peng R.D. Methods to calculate the heat index as an exposure metric in environmental health research. Environ Health Perspect. 2013; 121: 1111–9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1206273
6. Konstantinov P.I. Assessment of thermal comfort during heat waves in the largest cities of Russia. In: Revich B.A., Kuznetsova O.V., eds. Human in the metropolis: the experience of interdisciplinary research. [Chelovek v megapolise: opyt mezhdisciplinarnogo issledovaniya]. Moscow: LENAND; 2018: 328–39. https://ecfor.ru/publication/monografiya-chelovek-v-megapolise-opytmezhdistsiplinarnogo-issledovaniya/ (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
7. Revich B.A. Heat waves in megacities and thresholds of their impact on population mortality. Gigiena i sanitariya [Hygiene and Sanitation, Russian journal]. 2017; 11: 1073–8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18821/0016-9900-2017-96-11-1073-1078 (in Russian)
8. Revich B. Heat-wave, air quality and mortality in the Russian Federation’s Europe, 2010: Preliminary assessment. Ekologiya cheloveka [Human Ecology]. 2011; 7: 3–9. (in Russian)
9. Shaposhnikov D., Revich В., Bellander T., Bedada G., Bottai M., Kharkova T. et al. Heat Wave and Wildfire Air Pollution related Mortality in the Summer of 2010 in Moscow. Epidemiology. 2014; 25 (3): 359–64.
10. Poverty & Death: Disaster Mortality 1996–2015. The Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters; 2019: 22. DOI: https://www.unisdr.org/files/50589_creddisastermortalityallfinalpdf.pdf (аccessed April 29, 2019)
11. Shaposhnikov D.A., Revich B.A. On some approaches to calculating the risks of tempera-tural waves for health. Analiz riska zdorov’yu [Health Risk Analysis]. 2018; 1: 22–30. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2018.1.03 (in Russian)
12. Vilfand R.M., Kiktev D.B., Rivin G.S. On the way to forecast the weather for cities. In: Proceedings of the international conference devoted to the centenary of the birth of academician A.M. Obukhov “Turbulence, Dynamics of atmosphere and climate” [Turbulentnost’, Dinamika atmosfery i klimata]. Dolgoprudny: Fizmatkniga; 2018: 7. DOI: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=35890528 (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
13. D’Amato G., Liccardi G., Frenguelli G. Thunderstorm-asthma and pollen allergy. Allergy. 2007; 62 (1): 11–6.
14. D’Amato G., Cecchi L., Amato M., Liccardi G. Urban air pollution and climate change as environmental as environmental risk factors of respiratory allergy: an update. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2010; 20 (2): 95–102.
15. Ageev F.T., Smirnova M.D., Galaninsky P.V. Assessment of direct and delayed impact of abnormally hot summer 2010 on the course of cardiovascular diseases in outpatient practice. Terapevticheskiy arkhiv. 2012; 8: 45–51. DOI: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18226454 (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
16. Baccini M., Biggeri A., Accetta G., Kosatsky T., Katsouyanni K., Analitis A. et al. Heat effects on mortality in 15 European citie. Epidemiology. 2008; 19: 711–9. DOI: 10.1136/jech.2008.085639
17. Smirnova M.D., Fofanova T.V., Yarovaya E.B., Ageev F.T. Prognostic factors of development of cardiovascular complications during abnormal heat in 2010 (cohort observational study). Kardiologicheskiy vestnik. 2016; 1 (9): 43–51. https://readera.ru/14334763 (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
18. Smirnova M.D., Ageyev F.T., Svirida O.N., Konovalova G.G., Tikhaze A.K., Lankin V.Z. The effect of summer heat on the health status of patients with moderate and high risk of cardiovascular complications. Kardiovaskulyarnaya terapiya i profilaktika. 2013; 12 (4): 56–61. DOI: 10.15829/1728-8800-2013-4-56-61 (in Russian)
19. Smirnova M.D., Fofanova T.V., Ageev F.T. Hypertensive crises during anomaly-Noah heat 2010: predictive factors for the development (cohort observational study). Sistemnyye gipertenzii. 2016; 2(13): 33–6. DOI: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=27706531 (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
20. Hausfater Р., Megarbane B., Dautheville S. et al Prognostic factors in nonexertional heatstroke. Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36 (2): 272–80. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00134-009-1728-5
21. Ageev F.T., Smirnov M.D., Svirida O.N., Kuzmina A.E., Shatalina L.S. Effect of intake of cardiac drugs on adaptation to high temperatures of patients with cardiovascular diseases in the hot summer of 2010. Terapevticheskiy arkhiv. 2013; 3 (85): 63–9. DOI: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18967561 (аccessed April 29, 2019) (in Russian)
22. Smirnova M.D., Svirida O.N., Vitsenya M.V., Kuzmina A.E., Lankin V.Z., Tikhaze A.K. et al. The use of Meldonium to improve the adaptation of agents with cardiovascular diseases to the effects of heat and the correction of associated oxidative stress. Kardiologiya. 2014; 7: 53–9. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18565/cardio.2014.7.53-59 (in Russian)
23. Smirnova M.D., Svirida O.N., Vitsenya M.V., Mikhailov G.V., Ageev F.T. The Effectiveness of Russian health recommendations for sanogenic behavior in a heat wave. Kardiologiya. 2015; 5: 66–71. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18565/cardio.2015.5.66-71 (in Russian)
24. Hubalek Z., Halouska J. West Nile fever – A reemerging mosquito-borne viral disease in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999; 5: 643–50. DOI: 10.3201/eid0505.990505
25. Napp S., Petric D., Busquets N. West Nile virus and other mosquito-borne viruses present in Eastern Europe. Pathog Glob Health. 2018; 112: 233–48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2019.03.003
26. Kioutsioukis I., Stilianakis N.I. Assessment of West Nile virus transmission risk from a weather-dependent epidemiological model and a global sensitivity analysis framework. Acta Trop. 2019; 193: 129–41. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2019.03.003
27. European Centre for Prevention and Control (ECDC) Epidemiological Update West Nile Virus Transmission Season in Europe. 2018. DOI: https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-west-nilevirus-transmission-season-europe-2018 (Accessed April 29, 2019).
28. Alekseychik I.O., Putintseva E.V., Smelyansky V.P., Boroday N.V., Alieva A.K., Agarkova E.A. et al. Peculiarities of the Epidemic Situation on West Nile Fever in the Territory of the Russian Federation in 2018 and Forecast of its Development in 2019. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsiy. 2019; 1: 17–25. DOI: 10.21055/0370-1069-2019-1-17-25 (in Russian)
29. Ganushkina L.A., Patraman I.V., Rezza G., Migliorini L., Litvinov S.K., Sergiev V.P. Detection of Aedes aegypti, Aedes albopictus, and Aedes koreicus in the Area of Sochi, Russia. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2016; 16 (1): 58–60.
30. Giovanni R. Chikungunya is back in Italy: 2007–2017. J Travel Med. 2018; 25 (1): 1–4. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/tay004
31. Volynkina A.S., Kotenev E.S., Lisitskaya Ya.V., Maletskaya O.V., Pakskina N.D., Shaposhnikova L.I. et al. Analysis of Crimean Hemorrhagic Fever Morbidity Rates in the Russian Federation in 2017 and Prognosis for 2018. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsiy. 2018; 1: 12–5. DOI: 10.21055/0370-1069-2018-1-12-15 (in Russian)
32. Pshenichnaya N.Y., Leblebicioglu H., Bozkurt I., Sannikova I.V., Abuova G.N., Zhuravlev A.S. et al. Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in pregnancy: A systematic review and case series from Russia, Kazakhstan and Turkey. Int J Infect Dis. 2017; 58: 58–64.
33. Ermakova L.A., Tverdokhlebova T.I., Pshenichnaya N.Y. Diagnostic significance of enzyme immunoassay in larval helminthiasis (trichinosis, echinococcosis, toxocarosis). Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina. 2012; 3: 59–63. DOI: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18776936 (accessed 29 April 2019) (in Russian)
34. Ermakova L., Nagorny S., Pshenichnaya N., Ambalov Y., Boltachiev K. Clinical and laboratory features of human dirofilariasis in Russia. IDCases. 2017; 9: 112–5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idcr.2017.07.006
35. Pietikäinen R., Nordling S., Jokiranta S., Saari S., Heikkinen P., Gardiner C. et al. Dirofilaria repens transmission in southeastern Finland. Parasit Vectors. 2017; 10 (1): 561. DOI: 10.1186/s13071-017-2499-4
36. Genchi C., Rinaldi L., Mortarino M., Genchi M., Cringoli G. Climate and Dirofilaria infection in Europe. Vet Parasitol. 2009; 163 (4): 286–92.
37. Simonova E.G., Kartavaya S.A., Titkov A.V., Loktionova M.N., Raichich S.R., Tolpin V.A. et al. Anthrax in the Territory of Yamal: Assessment of Epizootiological and Epidemiological Risks. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsiy. 2017; 1: 89–93. DOI: 10.21055/0370-1069-2017-1-89-93 (in Russian)
38. Cherkassky B.L. Journey of the epidemiologist in time and space [Puteshestviye epidemiologa vo vremeni i prostranstve]. 2nd ed. Moscow: Prakticheskaya meditsina; 2007. 511 p. (in Russian)
Для цитирования: Ревич Б.А., Малеев В.В., Смирнова М.Д., Пшеничная Н.Ю. Российский и международный опыт разработки планов действий по защите здоровья населения от климатических рисков. Гигиена и санитария. 2020; 99 (2): 176-181. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/0016-9900-2020-99-2-176-181
For citation: Revich B.A., Maleev V.V., Smirnova M.D., Pshenichnaya N.Yu. Russian and international experience in the development of action plans for the protection of human health from climate risks. Gigiena i Sanitaria (Hygiene and Sanitation, Russian journal). 2020; 99(2): 176-181. (In Russ.). DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/0016-9900-2020-99-2-176-181
- Refbacks are not listed
Контент доступен под лицензией Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
ISSN: 0016-9900 (Print)